The diagram below shows the different parts of a semver version number.
PATCH Version Number
- Starts from 1
- Increments by 1 when you fix bugs but dont introduce new features.
MINOR Version Number
- Starts from 0.
- Indicates a backward compatible new feature.
- An increment resets the patch number to 0 on each increment.
MAJOR Version Number
- Starts from 0
- Incremented only when a backwards incompatible feature is introduced.
- An increments resets both — Minor and Patch version numbers to 0.
The diagram below shows the three most important ways in which you consume a package that is versioned using semver.